Friday, February 5, 2016

DIY: Almond Butter Cookies

Since the weather had turned cold for a few days, I didn't feel like heading outside any time soon…But, I did feel the need to have some cookies in my life.  I had been looking online for some healthier alternatives to some of the more sugary-types of cookies out there.  It's partially because I have to cut back on my sugar in-take (I am a dessert-lover) for the sake of my own health. 

Anyhow, I came across a really simple Buzzfeed recipe for a 3 ingredient Peanut Butter cookie.  It was so simple that I totally knew that I could swap out the ingredients for things that I had already in my own pantry.

So, for the sake of trial…I made a half dozen cookies for my first batch.  They came out pretty well…so I made a half dozen more (which this blog is based on) as my second batch!

*NOTE:  My portions are to make just a small batch of 6 small cookies…for afternoon tea!

Ingredients:
1.  1/2 cup of Almond Butter
2.  1/4 cup of raw sugar
3.  1 teaspoon of chia seeds soaked in water for about 10 minutes
4.  Optional:  Some whole wheat flour to make cookies "drier"



What I did:
1.  Firstly, I got a teaspoon of chia seeds and set them in a bowl.  I poured about 2 tablespoons of water over them and let them sit unit they congealed…this was my egg substitute (egg was used in the original recipe).

2.  Then I poured in my 1/4 cup of raw sugar, 1/2 cup of almond butter, and my congealed chia seeds into a bowl and mixed them together to create my cookie dough.

*I also sprinkled in some whole wheat flour to make the cookies have a more doughy taste.  My first batch came out too sweet as well…so adding the whole wheat flour dialed down on the sweetness.  But, this could be left out for those of you who do love sweet things!


3.  Then I rolled up my dough into little balls and put them onto my silicon-baking mat.


4.  I then got my fork (which I used to mix the dough) and put in fork marks (like the video!!)…which made them look quite nice and more professional!  Ha!


5.  I popped this batch into my toaster oven (which only has one heat setting)…and baked them for about 15 minutes.  I just watched them every 5 minutes.  And I poked a knife through one around the 10 minute mark to see if it was worth taking them out yet.

But, my second batch of cookies stayed baking in my toaster oven for about 15 minutes and they came out really well!  I surprised myself at how they came out!  They were crispy on the outside, moist and sweet in the inside…and the chia seeds were such a great substitute for the egg in the original recipe!  WHO KNEW!!!


It was a great little afternoon tea treat that I will probably add to my repertoire of afternoon tea dishes to serve to friends!