Friday, September 23, 2016

Mui Wo Dai Pai Dong

The first time I really traveled on my own was when I went to Italy.  Back then, backpacking was in and going to the local grocery store for produce was key to surviving on a small budget.  I used to think that was the greatest way to really get to know the place where I was visiting…besides learning a bit of the language to last me a few days.

Life in Mui Wo is quite the same.  It's nice to be able to just pop in to the local market and pick up some fresh produce for the day's meals, but there are times (LIKE DAYS LIKE TODAY) when shopping and cooking are just too time consuming.

For quick delicious food, we went to the local dai pai dong in the Mui Wo Cooked Food Market, which sits to the side of the ferry pier.  

I LOVE dai pai dongs…especially having dinner at them because it is where the night life is at…not the crazy Lan Kwai Fong type of scene, but where the locals can be found chilling with a bottle of beer after a long day's work.

There are a handful of dai pai dongs, but this one (in the Mui Wo Cooked Food Market) is where I will start on my blog-ventures!

The menu is pretty intense.  Here had to have been everything under the sun available.

NOTE:  Bring someone who can read Chinese!


The view here is wonderful.  The seating is along the waterfront and it looks over Silvermine Bay.

It's a really great view that reminds me heavily of my times in Sichuan…eating at restaurants that floated above a river.  It really makes life seem like a paradise.  Life is slow, the food is fine and the location just puts me into that reflective sort of mood.







Tonight, we ordered a fried oyster cake, which was pretty good.  It comes with a vinegar dip and was not as greasy as some that I have had in the past.  I liked how it was nice and hot when it came out…though, I do wish there were more oysters in the dish.


I have been on a shrimp high this past summer…

So, we ordered a garlic shrimp dish, which was really nice.  Anything with garlic is nice for me!  The shrimp were all halved, so it made it quite easy to extract from the shells.  The sauce was heaped on the shrimp, which made it easy to divvy up for those who wanted more garlic.

There were four of us at dinner, so the oyster cake and also the shrimp dish was good for splitting four ways.


Another heavenly delicious dish was the deep fried squid.  Most of the dai pai dongs in Mui Wo serve up this dish.  It's really good.  The pieces of squid are nicely cut and it also comes with a vinegar dipping dish on the side.  It's also a great dish to get when going Chinese-style with friends.


One of our healthier choices of dishes was the morning glory stir fry tossed with shrimp paste.  This is always a good veggie dish.  Most times dai pai dongs offer choy sum or bok choy…this is another option for those who are tired of getting the same greens at every meal.


There are so many places to try out here in Mui Wo.  I'm not much of a foodie, but I do love to eat out. It's a nice treat for the end of a work week!