Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY: Chai Tea Concentrate

I had the hankering for some chai tea and searched the internet for some recipes.  I have decided that this recipe is the best one for my tastebuds!  

What I used:
1.  12 smashed green cardamom pods
2.  8 black whole peppercorns
3.  8 whole cloves
4.  4 inch piece of ginger (sliced)
5.  4 cinnamon sticks
6.  1 vanilla bean (cut down the middle)
7.  2 star anises
8.  1 tablespoon fennel
9.  1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
10.  4 cups of water
11.  2 tablespoons brown sugar (or honey)
12.  2 - 3 tablespoons darjeeling loose leaf tea


What I did:
1.  I brought 4 cups of water to a boil in a hot pot
2.  I threw in all of the spices (cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, fennel), cut vanilla bean, nutmeg and ginger into the boiling water
3.  I boiled everything for 5 minutes
4.  I then reduced the heat to low-medium and let it simmer for 15 minutes
5.  After simmering, I added 2 - 3 tablespoons of the darjeeling loose leaf tea to the hot pot
6.  I let everything simmer and steep for 5 more minutes
7.  And there you have chai tea concentrate!
8.  I then strained my chai into cups

NOTE:  This is a chai tea concentrate.  

ONE PART chai tea concentrate to ONE PART water/milk

Adjust to your liking!  Add more water and milk to your liking!  Add more sugar if you like!


I like adding almond milk
Delicious!  
I think I went through three different recipes before settling on this one.  The chai tea concentrate is good for a few days, but I usually drink it all up in one day!  It is definitely a great novelty drink that I am going to make for houseguests!