I had the hankering for some chai tea and searched the internet for some recipes. I have decided that this recipe is the best one for my tastebuds!
What I used:
1. 12 smashed green cardamom pods
2. 8 black whole peppercorns
3. 8 whole cloves
4. 4 inch piece of ginger (sliced)
5. 4 cinnamon sticks
6. 1 vanilla bean (cut down the middle)
7. 2 star anises
8. 1 tablespoon fennel
9. 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
10. 4 cups of water
11. 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or honey)
12. 2 - 3 tablespoons darjeeling loose leaf tea
What I did:
1. I brought 4 cups of water to a boil in a hot pot
2. I threw in all of the spices (cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, fennel), cut vanilla bean, nutmeg and ginger into the boiling water
3. I boiled everything for 5 minutes
4. I then reduced the heat to low-medium and let it simmer for 15 minutes
5. After simmering, I added 2 - 3 tablespoons of the darjeeling loose leaf tea to the hot pot
6. I let everything simmer and steep for 5 more minutes
7. And there you have chai tea concentrate!
8. I then strained my chai into cups
NOTE: This is a chai tea concentrate.
ONE PART chai tea concentrate to ONE PART water/milk
Adjust to your liking! Add more water and milk to your liking! Add more sugar if you like!
|I like adding almond milk|