My new favorite place to get some pretty delicious afternoon tea is at the Carolyn Robb Cafe in Harbour City. Carolyn Robb was the executive chef for 11 years to Prince Charles and Princess Diana. She is known for many things, but, this cafe promoted, mostly, her Royal Chocolate Biscuit Cake, which was Princess Diana's favorite. The Royal Chocolate Biscuit Cake was also the cake that was requested as Prince William's groom's cake for his wedding.
Shop G02, G/F Ocean Terminal, Harbour City
17 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
For Reservations call 3188-8086
Open Mondays - Thursdays from 11:30 am - 10 pm
Open Fridays - Saturdays from 11:30 am - 11 pm
Open Sundays from 11:30 am - 10 pm
Open Public Holidays from 11:30 am - 11 pm
Afternoon tea begins at 3 pm and ends at 6 pm. The Royal Tea Set for 1 person is $160 HKD. The Royal Tea Set for 2 persons is $280 HKD. Besides the afternoon tea sets, the cafe also offers the usual coffees, teas, and hot chocolates. The menu also extends to a lunch and a dinner menu of a select variety of appetizers, salads, soups, and main dishes.
My friend and I went exclusively to the Carolyn Robb Cafe to enjoy the afternoon tea. We got a tea set for two.
At the top we got two selections of English scones.
In the middle we got a pair of fried New England Shrimp, a pair of mini French Chicken Breasts with Netherland Leek Puffs, a pair of Duck Gras Cherry Buns, and a pair of mini Black Truffle Egg Puff Tarts (which were so delicious and reminded me how much I love truffles!).
At the bottom, we got an assortment of cakes, which weren't introduced to us, but were a mix of chocolate and fruity flavors.
We were also given the option of coffee…
…or tea. I actually got the usual iced lemon tea (which I feel is quite Hong Kong!).
The highlights of my tea set were the mini Black Truffle Egg Puff Tart, which was so incredibly scrumptious...
And the mini Duck Gras Cherry Bun, which was such a lovely little mix of sweet and savory.
1. Presentation (5 out of 5) The presentation of the tea set was lovely. I thought that the serving plates, tea cups, and our dishes were so absolutely stellar (lovely designs).
2. Taste (5 out of 5) There was a good balance between sweets and savories. The jam and clotted cream were divine…I just really enjoyed ever mini bite of this tea set.
3. Service (5 out of 5) Everything was so quick. Our order was taken and our food came so quickly. And the rest of the time, we were left to our private conversation. The staff really do value privacy of patrons!
4. Atmosphere (5 out of 5) It's tucked away in a little corner of the Ground Floor of Ocean Terminal, so there is the lovely element of peace and quiet that goes along with eating at this cafe. There is also an indoor versus "patio" selection of seats. We sat "outdoors" and that was really nice to people watch and also view the cruise liner right outside the huge bay windows.
5. Return-ability (5 out of 5) This place is so affordable. It's also quite conveniently located near the water, where it gets a lovely bit of natural light. I'd definitely come back as more of a regular than reserving this place for a special occasion.
|The Royal Chocolate Biscuit Cake|