Monday, July 13, 2015

Mémoire Monday: Voodoo Donuts


This past week has been all about Oregon, for me.

1.  I started reading Kristen Hannah's "The Nightingale," which, in later years, takes place in Bend, Oregon.  The majority of the book, though, takes place in a German Occupied France back during WWII.  The story follows the lives of two sisters:  Vianne, a mother, who does her best to preserve her life and her daughter's life, and Isabelle, who helps guide downed airmen out of France through the Pyrenees.  I finished the book over the weekend and have nothing but praise for it!  It took me through a whole range of emotions that left me in tears by the time I reached the end of the book.

2.    My parents spent the past week in Oregon, mostly in Seaside, which is one of my favorite destinations in Oregon!  The best part of their trip was their stopover in Portland to Voodoo Donuts, which inspired this Mémoire Monday post.  They bought a baker's dozen box of donuts and took photos for me before they were eaten up by the family.

I get into a funk some times.  It might be homesickness, but I miss being able to drive down to Oregon and getting away for the weekend.  I miss passing Powell's books along I-5 and making a pit stop to load up on some good summer reads.  I miss doing some outlet shopping at the Woodburn Premium Outlets.   I miss how the Oregon Targets seem a lot more glamourous than the Washington Targets!

Though we're not heading back to the States this summer, we do have some exciting plans for the summer holidays!!!!  Hopefully, we can survive this upcoming holiday and return to blog about it.

…Final thoughts:   I must put FIND A GOOD DONUT PLACE IN HONG KONG on the top of my bucket list...