Wednesday, March 26, 2014

DIY: Old School Photo Album Project

I have been watching Keeping Up With The Kardashian recently and got inspired to make a photo album.  For our wedding a few years back, my husband and I got a photo album as a gift.  Pretty old school!  There were 500 slots for photos, so I went through my external hard-drive and pulled out some 500 photos ranging from my years in the Peace Corps (2006 - 2008), my year in Beijing (2009), and my first few years in Hong Kong.

It's a great keepsake that I can look at years later and see all the great times I've had!  <---that's the inspiration I got from Keeping Up With The Kardashians.  That family seems to really value memories, home videos, and photo keepsakes.  Anyhow, going through these photos helped me to remember a lot of great things that I had never told my husband about.

..like the time I was eating hot pot with my Peace Corps site mate and got something stuck in my throat.  A bit of backstory, I was placed in Duyun, Guizhou for two years.  My site mate and I had frequented this particular hot pot place over the course of our service and both considered it our favorite.  

...we were eating there for dinner, I got something stuck in the folds of my throat.  I panicked a bit when I realized that it was really sharp and I couldn't swallow it down.  So, my site mate and I went to the local dentist, where he put tongs down my throat and extracted a small piece of wood.  I was so relieved to have gotten that out of my throat and I was also SO FREAKED OUT that I never went back to that hot pot place again.  

That's what photos do for me...they help me to remember stories from the past that I can share with my husband, the ones I love, and my future kids!

500 photos

Photo album

To make this photo album more colorful and pleasing to the eye, I cut out construction paper "frames"

I thought I would add a personal touch and just write in captions, plus I was lazy!

The finished project!
Do people still make photo albums?  A friend suggested that I just get them printed out in book form.  Now, that is a great idea!