Thursday, March 6, 2014

First Fridays: Secondhand Book Swap

Firstly, I am a Kindle lover.  But, there are just some books that haven't been made electronic yet.  Which is what brings me to blog today!

There are a number of really great secondhand bookshops in this City:

1.  Flow (1A Wing On building, 38 Hollywood Road, Central)
2.  Collectables (2/F, 11 Queen Victoria Street, Central)
3.  The Bookshop (Shop E, Silver Centre, Silvermine Bay, Lantau)
4.  Read Books HK online (www.readbookshk.com)

There are more, for sure, but these are the ones that I most frequent.  Today, was the first time that I actually did a book swap.  I contacted Jo, the owner of Read Books, and asked her how the book swap worked.  Basically, she said that every one of my books would bring in $5 (Hong Kong Dollars).  Most of her books are $50 for General Fiction.  So, if I wanted one of her books, I would have to swap 10 of my own for one of Jo's.  

I chose to swap three of my books, which equaled $15, and payed $35 out of pocket to get one of the books that I had been eyeing in her inventory.

We met in Central and that was that!


The books that I said goodbye to

Just wanted to share what a lovely cloudy day it was today

The book I'm saying hello to
I really wanted to read A Good Yarn because:
1.  The protagonist is named Lydia (like myself)
2.  The setting is in Seattle (my second hometown)

I can't wait to see what this book is about.  I suspect it might make me homesick, but the book swap was a really great experience.  Jo was incredibly nice, on-time, and offered to put me on her mailing list.  Overall, I can't wait to swap books again, since I am trying to move all of my reading materials electronic.