Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DIY: Cake in a Mug

I think I first saw baking in a mug on Youtube, but it was about making a chocolate chip cookie in a mug.  Today, I thought I would make a chocolate cake in a mug.  Yes, I had a craving...

Things you'll need:
1. A Microwavable Mug
2.  Measuring Spoons
3.  4 tbsp of Flour
4.  2 - 3 tbsp of Brown Sugar (depending on how sweet you'd like your cake)
5.  1 tbsp of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
6.  1 - 2 tbsp of Melted Butter
7.  2 - 3 tbsp of Milk (depending on how fluffy you'd like your cake)
8.  1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
9.  A pinch of Cinnamon (not necessary, it was just an experiment to add this for me)
10.  1tbsp of Chocolate Chips (or more if you like chocolate)

Options:
1.  Instead of adding straight Brown Sugar, you could do half Granulated Sugar and half Brown Sugar.  I've seen a few recipes that mix the two, but I'm a Brown Sugar junkie and my cake turned out fine...enough to satisfy my late night chocolate cake craving...

What I like to do:
1.  Mix these dry ingredients together first (Flour, Brown Sugar, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder)
2.  Add my Melted Butter, Milk and Vanilla Extract next
3.  If I'm feeling the Cinnamon, I will put that in next
4.  Then I  would add the Chocolate Chips
5.  I mix it all together to get my cake batter
6.  Then I put it into the microwave for 2 minutes (this really depends on your microwave settings because some online recipes put their cakes in for 3 minutes...some 5...but 2 minutes has been a good gauge for me)
7.  Your mug chocolate cake should look like a cake...
8.  Take it out, let it sit for a minute or so to cool
9.  You can de-mug it or not
10.  Enjoy!

4 tbsp of Flour

2 tbsp of Brow Sugar 
1 tbsp of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1 tbsp of Melted Butter

2 tbsp of milk (I use Almond milk)

1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract and my pinch of Cinnamon

1 tbsp of Chocolate Chips

Mix your concoction

Microwave it for 2 minutes (I would keep checking on it.  If it looks like a fluffy cake in a minute and a half, then it's about time to pull it out, but it really depends on your microwave settings.)

The aftermath...lovely... chocolatey...

A good midnight snack!