Friday, August 19, 2016

Des Moines Museum

I'm all for visiting a museum when I'm in a new place.  When my sister and I went to Washington DC for the first time, we tried to hit up all the museums that weekend.  The most impressive museum I'd ever visited, besides the Smithsonian!, was the Holocaust Memorial Museum.  

In high school, we spent most of Junior year Lit reading fiction based in the WWII-era and discussing in detail anti-Semitic themes (Elie Vesel's Night, Joseph Heller's Catch-22, Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice), so reading up on the experiences of the Holocaust in the Memorial Museum was an amazing experience.  Also, walking around and visiting the memorials (which was like visiting a huge outdoor museum) was just something that was on my bucket list for ages.  

When we went to Tokyo for the first time, my sister and I also tried to visit all the museums in the Ueno district (…zoo included as an animal museum!).  It was our trek to the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum that reignited my interest in visiting art museums, actually.  The museum was exhibiting works of art from Alphonse Mucha at the time…I think, before going here, I hadn't been into any art museum for over 10 years!

There is so much to be learned about through visiting museums, no matter how large or small they are!

While on one of our walks down to the Des Moines Marina and around the Des Moines Marina District, we discovered that there was a museum a block away from the abandoned Des Moines Theater.  The Des Moines Museum is maintained by the Des Moines Historical Society.  



Des Moines Museum Info:
Location
730 South 225th St.
Des Moines, Washington

Hours
The museum starts running after Memorial Day and before Labor Day on Saturdays from 1 - 4 pm.

Free Admission (Donations welcomed)

***Views of the Des Moines Museum's Collection***

















It was pretty neat to see all these ANCIENT artifacts of the Des Moines town!!!, which our guide said was mostly donated.  It was also quite nice to have someone who grew up in the area give us a personal tour of the museum.

Hearing stories from the past and also about how the community changed made me think about how so much has changed from my own life since I moved out of Washington.  It made me think about starting scrapbooking again, actually!

It was a great few hours at the museum!