Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Urban Hiking: Morning Trail

I've discovered another Urban Trail that gives a pretty good workout.  It's called Morning Trail and it goes from Conduit Road in the Midlevels up to the Peak.  I've done this trail a few times now:

1.  If you are looking for a longer workout, try walking up the stairs to Robinson Road instead of taking the escalators.  Then, take a RIGHT onto Robinson Road, past the Park N' Shop (about 10 - 15 minutes) until you hit Conduit Road.  From Conduit Road (about 10 - 15 minutes), look for Hatton Road on the left, which will take you up to Morning Trail. 

2.  If you are in for a more leisurely urban hike, this blog suggests taking BUS 13 to the Kotewall Road Bus Terminus and walking up the hill to Hatton Road.

Either way, Hatton Road marks the start of the Morning Trail.

NOTE:  I use this stone wall with the Conduit Road sign as my landmark to finding Hatton Road.



The Morning Trail is uphill all the way to the peak.


I think it took me a little under an hour each time I walked the trail.


There are several trails along the way.   One loops around the Peak.  One goes over to the Univresity of Hong Kong.   So, keep an eye out for the Morning Trail sign posts along the way.


There are rest stops along the way, as well as restrooms, for those who might find the incline a strain.


There was a good amount of lovely scenery all the way up.


The path is also paved all the way up.



Along the way, there was also a dog park, though I'm not sure if it is deemed legitimately a dog park, but there it was.



The higher up we trekked, the more of Hong Kong's cityscape could be seen.


Pretty much near the end of the Morning Trail is the Lugard Falls.  It's a great place to take a rest and also take some photos!


The Morning Trail comes out on the side of the Peak Galleria.


At this point, I have been catching my breath at the Starbucks, or having lunch at the Peak.  But, taking the Morning Trail back down the hill is always my option of choice.  Though, if the hike was enough for you, there are options of catching the PEAK TRAM or the bus back down into Central.


The benefit if walking down though is that it's all downhill!


I'm glad I was introduced to the Morning Trail.  It's a great way to show out-of-town guests another way to get up to the Peak.  It's also a great way to get in some exercise while visiting Hong Kong…though we always seem to be walking all over the city and every moment of our days!