Wednesday, October 14, 2015

DIY Corn Salad

Summer seems to be officially over!  That's a nice change of weather for me because now it sort of feels like Fall, with the cooler evenings and the overcast skies.

In celebration, I decided to make a summer salad, as a parting lunch.

Here is a salad where all the ingredients can be easily found in any Hong Kong supermarket.  


What you need for the Salad:
1.  A cup of canned corn
2.  A green bell pepper
3.  A tomato
4.  A bag of cranberries

For the Dressing:
1.  1/4 cup mayo
2.  2 tablespoons of lemon juice
3.  3/4 teaspoon mustard (the recipe online called for ground mustard, but normal mustard is fine)
4.  1/4 teaspoon sugar
5.  Salt/pepper to taste

NOTE:  This makes a hefty two person meal


Preparing the Dressing:
1.  Firstly, I measured out 1/4 cup of mayo, mixed in the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and then added 3/4 of a teaspoon of mustard, 1/4 a teaspoon of sugar, and some salt and pepper.  I mixed it all up and got the lovely dressing (pictured above).


Preparing the salad:
2.  Then I opened and drained the canned corn, chopped up my tomato, chopped up my green bell pepper, and threw in my bag of cranberries.
3.  I divided the proportions into two bowls (though only one is pictured above).


The final step:
4.  Then I poured the dressing all over the salad and mixed it all in.  I refrigerated the salads for about an hour before we CONSUMED them.

Overall feelings:
1.  I like testing out new recipes online
2.  The corn salad is really awesome for the summer/fall
3.  Corn salad is pretty filling, which I love
4.  I'm going to add this to my repertoire of things I can make in Hong Kong!