Friday, September 11, 2015

DIY: Homemade Hummus

Today was just one of those days when I just had the need to snack on something.  I decided to look up hummus recipes and make some of my own!  

NOTE:  All ingredients can be easily found in any grocery store in Hong Kong.  I went to my corner Park n Shop, which usually doesn't have much of what I need (i.e., baking soda or olives!), but I did manage to find a stock of Garbanzo beans.

What you need:
1.  A blender
2.  A can of Garbanzo beans
3.  1/2 teaspoons of cumin
4.  2 tablespoons of lemon juice
5.  3 cloves of minced garlic (I used 1 tablespoon of minced garlic)


What to do:
1.  Drain the Garbanzo beans
2.  Put the drained Garbanzo beans, cumin, lemon juice, and garlic into the blender
3.  If it takes a bit to get the blender going, put in a few drops of water and blend until smooth (I left mine a bit chunky…I like a chunky hummus)

My ending results was a pretty awesome hummus, which was full of garlic flavoring!  It was a nice spread.

Fun Fact:  One recipe that I looked at suggested to add 2 ounces of sliced jalapeños (if ever I can find these guys, I'll buy them and put them in my future hummus).  I love me a little spice now and again.


Some suggestions on hummus coupling:
1.  Carrot sticks
2.  Cucumbers sticks
3.  Toast slices

When I was grocery shopping in the morning, I also picked up some carrots, cucumbers, and wheat bread.  I cut up a carrot and a cucumber into sticks.  And I toasted a piece of wheat bread.  I put them all into a plate and….


…Voilà!  A great afternoon snack for two!



The ending results:
1.  For my first hummus trial, I thought it was pretty delicious.  Though, I put in too much garlic.  I'll adjust that the next time I make this.

2.  The carrot and cucumber sticks were really great with the hummus.  And the piece of toast was also a great mix.

3.  Though I was making a snack for two, I actually used about half of my hummus and kept the other half for another day.

NOTE:  I wouldn't keep the hummus for longer than 3 days, though.  I'm thinking that it'll probably be eaten by tomorrow morning.  But, I'm not sure when it will spoil.  I feel pretty safe to say that it'll keep for tomorrow.