Friday, April 24, 2015

A Night Tour of Yuen Long

When I first moved abroad, I was living in Japan.  Some days, I would ride my bike for miles in one direction just to see what was out there.  

When I was living in Beijing, I would take my bike all the way out to the 6th ring and find my way back to the center of the city.  

Living in Hong Kong, on the few occasions when my bike hadn't gotten stolen, I would ride along the bike trails up here in Yuen Long for miles and see where I would end up.

Well, I haven't done much wandering in awhile until one of my friends came to Yuen Long for a visit.  She was not familiar with the area, so I thought I would give her a tour of the happening spots (in the eyes of an American living in Yuen Long).  

If anyone if you are in the area and are looking for some good food and some socialization, perhaps these spots will be interesting.

***Engaging the Night Tour of Yuen Long***

1.  Yau San Street 

Yau San Street is a few minutes walk from Yuen Long Station and can be reached by way of Castle Peak Road.  (There is one of those lovely pink/purple tourist signs directing you to Yau San Street from Castle Peak Road.)  It's a street where you can find a handful of street food vendors.  These vendors are open pretty late at night.  My husband and I were here a little after midnight and it was still crowded with hungry people on the weekend.  It also has a late night pharmacy and doctor's clinic nearby (just in case of emergencies).





2.  Tai Tong Road

Castle Peak Road is the main road that runs through Yuen Long.  Tai Tong is another quite busy road, which is a few minutes walk from Yau San Street.  During the day, a lot of fresh produce and meats can be bought in the open markets right off of Tai Tong Road, especially along New Yuen Long Street.


Along Tai Tong Road is also where you can find CitiMall.  Inside this building with the clock on it, you can find Taste Supermarket and also CitiStore.  Taste is a level above the normal Park N Shop supermarkets.  It's a great place to go for imported foods.  It's where I can get my ingredients for my Mexican, Italian, and American dishes…it's also where I have a pretty good assortment of Japanese/Korean foods.  CitiStore is one of those local department stores where you can find the usual homeware products, kitchenware things, cosmetic/beauty counters, clothing for the family…the usual!


3.  The Yuen Long's Waterway Stroll

From Long Ping MTR Station, you'll be able to see a drainage/waterway/manmade stream that cuts through Yuen Long.  A lot of people that I know from Yuen Long joke about the little river that runs through the town.  Some people say that sewage sometimes flows into it.  Mostly, I figured that it helps to alleviate the flooding that occurs up here during the rainy seasons.

These days, the water level is just a trickle.

There are several paths that run along this waterway.  It's actually quite a lovely and romantic little evening stroll with the significant other on nice Spring evenings!


4.  Shooting Hoops

There are thousands of basketball courts all over this city…and Yuen Long has quite a handful too.  It's a great place to watch players face-off, shoot some hoops, and socialize with the locals.  In the mornings, the basketball courts (this one in particular) is dominated with tai chi lovers.  I really love how the public facilities are always being used around these parts!


5.  Skewers, Japanese, and Dessert Houses

Along Yu Wing Path, which is one of the paths that runs alongside the Yuen Long waterway, you'll see crowds of happy people.  They're all happy…probably because they are sampling some of Yuen Long's most delicious foods.  There are dessert houses (like my favorite in the photo below), micro mini Japanese restaurants, and also a Malaysian restuarant along this path.  Because of the popularity, the seating has extended out onto the path…which makes for a fun outdoor dining experience.



6.  Yuen Long Stadium

If you are looking for a late night workout, a safe place to stroll, a casual soccer game, a place to train, or a place to hang out with your friends, the Yuen Long Stadium is open most nights until 10:30 pm.

Being that this was a Friday night, it was quite the hot spot of activity and also a great place to end the tour that I was giving my friend.


From one side of Yuen Long to the other, I actually found myself appreciating the area where I lived a lot more.  I'm always reminded of how great Yuen Long is when I show people around.

There are so many public facilities available for us to use…and I should take advantage of them!