Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Aviary @ Kowloon Park

When I was a kid, I used to watch a lot of movies.  I remember my sister and I going to the Saturday matinees for $2.50 each.  And it's like $12 a ticket!  Oh, how I love to look back at the prices of the past!  I have been having these Baby Boomer recollections recently!

The movies I loved the most were the ones about New York…Big!  Home Alone 2!  Ghostbusters!  I loved how people always went to Central Park and did STUFF.  

Well, Hong Kong has a park where we can go and do STUFF as well…Actually, there are a few parks, but Kowloon Park is one of the most popular.

I was down in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) today and was just taking a break at Kowloon Park before an appointment.  Seeking some shade and silence, I headed up to the Aviary.

The Aviary is up on the hill and is, basically, a large birdcage where people can circle around and view the birds in their habitats.  Walking into the Aviary also, sort of, made me feel like I too was entering a birdcage.  It made me feel like Alice in Wonderland for a split second, then lines of Maya Angelou's I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings flowed into my head and I found myself a bit contemplative.

It's absolutely a beautiful experience to see such wonderful birds, but it is also a bit sad because these exotic birds are caged without consent.

With all these mixed emotions, the Aviary was a good hour spent for me contemplating a bunch of the things that I have been dealing with recently.

Its peace and quiet calmed my, then, nerves and stress into peace and quiet.

I'm quite thankful that there is a place in the center of the crazy TST where I can take a mini break from everything.

***Views as I ambled around the Aviary***