Monday, April 27, 2015

Eating the Weekend

There are so many places to eat in Hong Kong.  I have been here for a couple of years and must have tried hundreds of places.  Most of the time, I am amazed at the deliciousness of everything.  It's quite rare to find mediocre foods around, which is great for Foodies.

Here is a sampling of eateries I indulged in over the weekend.


[Friday]

We started the weekend off in Tsim Sha Tsui.  And a street that always has a good selection of restaurants is Hau Fook Street.

Dinner @ Sarangchae




We got the bimbimbap and a beef with turnip dish.  Both were pretty darn good.  I would suggest getting the bimbimbap in the stone bowl because the regular bimbimbap without the crispy rice just isn't the same.

Korean food is always a great way to start off any weekend!


[Saturday]

I was down in Causeway Bay for the day, so my husband and I had breakfast in the area.  Usually, for breakfast I'm always up for the local congee or rice roll place.  I like a simple breakfast!  But, having something like noodles for breakfast is also a pretty good option.




We got one signature fishballs and noodle dish, which was pretty good.  It was even more delicious when I added condiments and spice to the mix.  The second dish was beef tendon, which was also delicious.  The sauce was what made this dish.

For lunch, I met up with a friend for some grub on Haven Street, which is a swanky little dead end in Causeway Bay.  There are a few really nice looking eateries along this dead end, but Cafe Yawn was the first that I'd tried.

Lunch @ Cafe Yawn






We split a skillet dish and got two mini skillets to eat off of.  Quite excessive, but quite thoughtful, in the customer service sense. 

The dish was delicious and left me satisfied.  Who doesn't love a good potato and egg mix?  And the guava juice I got quenched my thirst.  Guava, by the way, is one of my favourite juice flavours... being from Hawaii and all.

A few hours later, we headed to one of Causeway Bay's popular dessert houses.  This was another totally new place for me, so I was totally up for trying it.

Afternoon Tea @ Chung Kee Dessert





Chung Kee Dessert was actually quite barren during the middle of the day, but probably gets busy during the evenings.  We ordered a mango puff and a mango shaved ice.  The shaved ice melted before I could get halfway through.  It didn't compare to some of the shaved ices I've had back in my Hawaii days, but it was good for the hot weather.

When I go back next, I am definitely going to try the shaved ice cream.  I'm not sure what it is called, but some places have called it the Taiwanese ice cream.  I had it before on Cheung Chau Island and also down in Cheung Sha Wan.  It's always the best fail-safe thing on the dessert menus for me.


[Sunday]

Yuen Long, where I live, was known for food back in the day. It still has a bunch of great eateries, but so does every district in Hong Kong!

Because we were in the center of Yuen Long today, we walked around in the hopes of finding a new place to test out.  I'm always looking out for places where I can comfortable order food, interact with servers who have huge amounts of patience, have orders made quickly, is pretty convenient to get to from my place and is worth returning to.

There is one place that caught our eye…a place that usually has a line outside when dinner rolls around, but for lunch it seemed to have open seats.

Lunch @ Hok Kee 






Congee seems like a lot of people's comfort food in Hong Kong.  

Hok Kee is really in such a convenient location, right next to the Tai Kiu Market.  Also, the food is quickly served, so that you can be in and out within minutes (depending on how fast you eat).  That's something I like about Hong Kong…how FAST fast-food can be.

I can totally understand the presence of the line, though.  The congee is pretty darn tasty.  I mean, usually, you may think congee is dull, but this was nice.  We also got beef noodles, which were also quite nice.

I believe that I will come back here... perhaps make this place one of my regular places to eat a quick and simple meal. I just have to go during non-peak hours.







For dinner, we went down to Hung Hom.  Originally, we were going to see if the ribs were being served at Go Inside & Friends.  I am starting to think that the ribs are never coming back onto the menu!!!

But, instead of ribs, we ordered pork chop and salmon steak.  Both were incredibly delicious.  I have yet to order a mediocre dish from this place!  I'm not too sure what the soup was, but we ordered tiramisu at the end.

It was a great meal to celebrate the end of the weekend.

I noticed a fawn on one of the columns of Go Inside & Friends

My friends always say how it is easier and sometimes cheaper to eat out in Hong Kong.  I would sort of agree with that thought, but that's only if I am eating at a local canteen or local dai pai dong.  If I am craving some pesto penne, I think that it would definitely be cheaper to make that on my own.

But, living in this city, the atmosphere of going out with friends or having an evening out with my husband makes for eating out a lovely experience.

I would definitely recommend trying out new places every once in awhile.  Trying a new place is like gaining some new life experiences.  Y.O.L.O. right…(does anyone say that anymore?)