Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Eats Week: Shaved Ice @ Sweet Moment

I was down in Cheung Sha Wan this past week and stumbled across this sweet little dessert shop on Fuk Wing Street.  On a street with a lot of industrial shops (selling rods, car parts, electrical wires), it was like finding a diamond in the rough.  I sort of walked by because I thought they were setting up or closed.  But, I went back out of curiosity and peaked my head in.  Turns out, the staff inside were just preparing their restaurant to open.  Like, they were putting chairs together and preparing their store for a Grand Opening!  So I was in the right place at the right time!

My third installment of Eats Week is the discovery of Sweet Moments!

Sweet Moment Info

Where: Shop No. 62, G/F Manor Centre, 218 Fuk Wing Street, Cheung Sha Wan

What:  Dessert shop

Opening Hours:  Monday - Sunday 2 pm - 2 am

Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/sweetmomentdessert

The menu

The wonderfully colorful, fun, and young interior

The bill for my party of one

The shop sits across from this school

I ordered a Green Tea Ice Mountain, which came with red beans on the side, and condensed milk drizzled on the top
This shop did not only have a rad-retro atmosphere, but the dessert I got was awesome.  I had a sort of shaved ice.  I have had this before when on Cheung Chau Island.  I have also had it in Taiwan.  So, I was so excited to see it right in Kowloon!  That means, when the blistering Hong Kong summer hits, there will be a closer place to seek refuge than heading out to the Outlaying Islands!

The shop owner was so nice, I must also mention.  He asked me where I was from, why I didn't speak Cantonese, why I was in Hong Kong and if I liked my order.  I told him how much I enjoyed the shop's decor, I was from Seattle, I was currently learning Cantonese at a very basic level, and I that my husband was from Hong Kong, which was why I moved here.  He was nice and had a genuine smile on his face when we talked.  I like service with a smile!

I'm definitely coming back here!